Growing up in Germany, every year in May/June we went to the fields to plug strawberries. My sister is the biggest strawberry fan under the moon and this was always a great opportunity to pick the best and juiciest strawberries all the while also eating as much as your stomach can hold. We’d then spend the next day making jam for pretty much the rest of the year. The store bought strawberry jam always had too much sugar for us, so making it at home was a great way to get it exactly the way we wanted.
Nowadays I don’t make jam any more. But we rarely eat bread, so I guess less need for jam. Fresh strawberries are beautiful and delicious but honestly there are only a few things worse than the artificially created strawberry taste in some yoghurts or sweets. So if I want strawberry yoghurt, I prefer to have plain yoghurt with fresh strawberries over store-bought strawberry yoghurt.
Last week, as I was getting ready for my friends from Germany to visit this week, I stumbled over a vegan strawberry cheesecake recipe. from Gluten Free Vegan Love. No bake and gluten free on top of that! So this is a slightly amended version.
Are you a strawberry fan just like me? Don’t miss my all-you-need-to-know about strawberries dashboard with yummy recipes and helpful tips. Click here!
Vegan Strawberry Cheesecake
– 1 1/2 cup almonds
– 3 tbsp liquid coconut oil
– 5 medjool dates
– 1 package vanilla sugar
– 3 cups raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 2 hours
– 9 tbsp liquid coconut oil
– juice of 1 1/2 lemons
– 1/4 cup honey
– 1 medium banana
– 1/4 cup coconut milk (don’t shake the can and take the top hard part only)
– 3 cups strawberries, washed and hulled
1. Put all ingredients for the base in the food processor and process for about 3 minutes until the mix is crumbly.
2. Transfer mixture into a 9″ spring form and press down with your hands to form a thin layer on the base and edge.
3. Place all cheesecake ingredients in order of listing into a blender. Once the mix is nice and smooth add to the spring form on top of the crust.
4. Put the cake into the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours before serving. Garnish with some additional strawberries.